Thursday 15 June 2017

“I’ve recorded over 400 songs in the past year” – Jinmi Abduls.


During the week, upcoming artist Jinmi Abduls took to his social media to announce his debut E.P titled JOLAG (Jinmi of Lagos).

Jinmi who is currently signed to Chase music records is best known for his hit song, Pose remix featuring Boj (on the microphone). The announcement of his E.P is getting a lot of attention, and The Odd Blog (TOB) decided to interview him.

Continue reading for full gist.

T.O.B: Who is Jinmi Abduls?

Jinmi Abduls: I’m a singer, songwriter, producer, and multi-instrumentalist from Lagos, Nigeria. I tell stories in every song that depicts different aspects of Lagos culture and lifestyle, hence the name, Jinmi of Lagos.
T.O.B: When did you start music?

Jinmi Abduls: I’ve been involved in music for a very long time. I started playing instruments at a very young age. The singing started after I won a talent hunt on a radio phone and spent the summer listening to amazing music from around the world. That was when I knew I wanted to sing and record music. I was 11. I then recorded my first track With You, produced by my brother, then known as Versebeats.

T.O.B: How was chase music created?       

Jinmi Abduls:I founded Chase music in December 2015 with the talented songstress, Dami Oniru. I created it because we were independent artists and nobody was giving us any chance and a platform to which we could push ourselves. Therefore I discussed the idea (chase music) with her, and we went on to create a structured music company. She left after a year of operations. Currently on the team are Foresythe, Adnan the producer and I.

T.O.B: How long have you been working on your forthcoming project?

Jinmi Abduls: Some of the songs on the E.P are as old as a year, and others are as young as two weeks. I mainly selected them from over 400 songs I’ve recorded in the past year and levelled it down to 12 and then to 7. Even after having my 7 and announcing the E.P, two songs were replaced by new ones.

T.O.B: How did you come up with the name of the E.P, #JOLAG?

Jinmi Abduls: As earlier mentioned, I am often called Jinmi of Lagos by fans and friends because of my love for Lagos’ lifestyle and culture often depicted in our music. I decided to introduce myself to the world like that on my debut project, Jinmi of Lagos, shortened as JOLAG.

T.O.B: Lastly, What should your fans expect from the project?

Jinmi Abduls: It’s a different project with amazing features, productions and vibes for every mood. Everyone is going to have more than two favourite songs on it, I promise.

T.O.B: That will be all for now. Thank you for your time.

4 comments: